Energy Area Coordinator
Prof. Dr. A. Kumar Kolar (Department of Mechanical Engineering, IIT Madras, India)
- Since 1993 Professor, Dept of Mechanical Engineering, IIT Madras
- Since 1984 Faculty , IIT Madras
- 1979 – 1983 Research Asst Professor, New York University
- 1978 Post Doc, Univ of Illinois @Chicago Circle, Chicago
- 1977 Scientist C, ISRO Satellite Centre, Bangalore
- Thermal Sciences and Energy
- Fundamental Heat Transfer and Combustion
- New Energy Technologies : Free Breathing Direct Methanol Fuel Cell(DMFC) and Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell (PEMFC)
- Development of DMFC for Cell Phone; Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Modeling
- Renewable Energy Technologies: Biomass Combustion; Tri-generation Systems
- Conventional Energy Technologies: Advanced Coal Power Plant System Analysis; Fluidised Bed Combustion and Gasification of Coal for Power Generation
- P.Manoj Kumar and Ajit Kumar Kolar: Effect of cathode design on the performance of an air-breathing PEM fuel cell, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, (2010), 35,671-681
- B.P.M.Rajani and Ajit Kumar Kolar: A model for a vertical planar air breathing PEM fuel cell, Journal of Power Sources, (2007), 164, 210-221
- M. Sreekanth and Ajit Kumar Kolar: Progress of conversion in a shrinking wet cylindrical wood particle pyrolyzing in a hot fluidized bed, Journal of Analytical & Applied Prolysis, (2009), 84(1), 53-67.
- M. Sreekanth and Ajit Kumar Kolar: Transient thermal behaviour and stress development within a cylindrical wooden disk during drying in a fluidized bed dryer, Drying Technology, (2009), 27(3), 344-358.
- M. Sreekanth and Ajit Kumar Kolar: Mass Loss and Apparent Kinetics of a Thermally Thick Wood Particle Devolatilizing in a Bubbling Fluidized Bed Combustor, Fuel, (2010), 89(5), 1050-1055.
- D. Ruben Suhakar, K. Srinivas Reddy, Ajit Kumar Kolar and Bo Leckner: Fragmentation of wood char in a laboratory scale fluidized bed combustor, Fuel Processing Technology, 89, (2008), 1121-1134
- D. Ruben Sudhakar, and Ajit Kumar Kolar: Transient Three Dimensional Mathematical Model and Experimental Investigation of a Wet Devolatilizing Wood in a Fluidized Bed, Energy and Fuels, (2010), 24,4820-4832.
- M.V.J.J.Suresh, K.S.Reddy, and Ajit Kumar Kolar, 3-E analysis of advanced power plants based on high ash coal, International Journal of Energy Reserarch, (2010), 34, 716-735.
- M.V.J.J.Suresh, K.S.Reddy, and Ajit Kumar Kolar: 4-E (Energy, Exergy, Environment, and Economic) analysis of solar thermal aided coal-fired power plants, Energy for Sustainable development, (2010),14, 267-279.
- M.V.J.J.Suresh, K.S.Reddy, and Ajit Kumar Kolar: Thermodynamic optimization of advanced steam power plants retrofitted for oxy-coal combustion, Journal of Engineering for Gas Trubines and Power, (2011), 133
Prof. Dr. F. Behrendt (Institut für Energietechnik, Berlin Institute of Technology, Germany)
- 2007 Speaker of the Innovation Centre Energy being responsible for the coordination of all energy-related research at TU Berlin.
Member of the German Academy of Science and Engineering (acatech).
- 2001 Full Professor for Energy Process Engineering and Conversion Technologies for Renewable Energies at the Berlin Institute of Technology (TU Ber-lin)
- 1999 habilitation at the Stuttgart University
- 1989 phd from Heidelberg University for his work on modelling of diffusion flames including detailed chemical reaction mechanism.
- Efficient Gas Turbines: Optimization of Gas Turbine technologies. Secure and low-emission combustion
- Thin-Film and Nano Technology for Photovoltaics: Development of innovative coating methods and processes for solar modules
- Networks and Functional Energy Storage Systems: Optimizing grid usage on basis of the existing energy supply structure
- Usage of Low Temperature Heat: Lowering emissions by integrating innovative conversion technologies
- Energy Efficient Buildings and Cities: Reducing energy demand in buildings and cities
- M. Bogdanic, F. Behrendt, F. Mertins: The influence of a two-component model on the computed regeneration behaviour of an uncoated diesel particulate filter, Chemical Engineering Science 63(10), 2601-2613 (2008)
- F. Behrendt, N. Zobel: Transient heat transfer in packed beds: The significance of the history term, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 51, 3816-3824 (2008)
- F. Behrendt, Y. Neubauer, M. Oevermann, N. Zobel, B. Wilmes: Direct Liquefaction of Biomass, Chemical Engineering & Technology 31(5), 667-677 (2008)
- M. Oevermann, S. Gerber, F. Behrendt: Euler-Lagrange/DEM simulation of wood gasification in bub-bling fluidized bed reactor, Particuology 7, 307–316 (2009)
- F. He, N. Zobel, W. Zha, F. Behrendt: Effects of physical properties on one-dimensional downward smoldering of char: Numerical analysis, Biomass and Bioenergy 33(8), 1019-1029 (2009)
- S. Gerber, F. Behrendt, M. Oevermann: Numerische Untersuchung der Holzvergasung in Wirbel-schichten mit einer Diskreten Elemente Methode, Verbrennung und Feuerungen – 24. Deutscher Flammentag, VDI-Berichte 2056, 161-164, VDI-Verlag (2009)
- N. Zobel, A. Anca Couce, F. Behrendt, H.A. Jakobsen: Mehrskalen-Modellierung des Schwelbrands in Schüttungen fester Brennstoffe, Verbrennung und Feuerungen – 24. Deutscher Flammentag, VDI-Berichte 2056, 399-404, VDI-Verlag (2009)
- M. Schaefer, F. Behrendt, T. Hammer: Evaluation of strategies for the subsequent use of CO2, Front. Chem. Eng. China, 172-183, DOI 10.1007/s11705-009-0236-z (2010)
- S. Gerber, F. Behrendt , M. Oevermann: An Eulerian modeling approach of wood gasification in a bubbling fluidized bed reactor using char as bed material, Fuel 89, 2903-2917, DOI 10.1016/j.fuel.2010.03.034 (2010)
- R. Sun, N. Zobel, Y. Neubauer, C. Cardenas Chavez, F. Behrendt: Analysis of gas-phase polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon mixtures by laser-induced fluorescence, Optics and Lasers in Engineering, doi:10.1016/j.optlaseng.2010.06.009 (2010)