Area Coordinators Water Management
Prof Dr B. S. Murty (Department of Civil Engineering, IIT Madras)
2004 (ongoing): Professor, IIT Madras
2001: Associate Professor, IIT Madras
1998: Assistant Professor, IIT Madras
1997: Associate Professor, IIT Kanpur
1990: Assistant Professor, IIT Kanpur
1989: Lecturer, IIT Kanpur
1985 : Teaching / Research Assistant
- Open channel flows & Free Surface Flows
- Sediment Transport Modeling
- Surface & Subsurface Flow Interaction
- Pipe flows & Condition Assessment
- Contaminant Transport Modeling
- Water Resources Management in Coastal and Deltaic Systems
Publications (selection only, complete list here)
- Philip, Ligy; Reddy, K. S.; Kumar, Bhuvanesh; Bhallamudi, S.M., Kannan, A., “Performance evaluation of a solar and wind aided cross-flow evaporator for RO reject management”, Desalination, Elsevier, Vol. 317 Pages: 1-10, 2013.
- Balasubramanian, P., Ligy Philip, S. Murty Bhallamudi, “Biotrickling filtration of VOC emissions from pharmaceutical industries”, Chemical Engineering Journal, Elsevier, Vol. 209, pp. 102-112, October 2012.
- Chaitali, M., Manikandan, S.T., S. Murty Bhallamudi, and Panday, S. “A dynamic sub-timing based implicit non-oscillating scheme for contaminant transport modeling”, Jl. of Hydrologic Engineering, ASCE, 17(6), pp. 694-703, June 2012.
- Belayneh, M. Z. and S. Murty Bhallamudi, “Optimization model for management of water quality in a tidal river using upstream releases”, J. of Water Resources and Protection, Scientific Research Publications, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 149-162, March 2012.
- Naresh K. Sharma, Ligy Philip and S. Murty Bhallamudi, “Aerobic Degradation of Phenolics and aromatic hydrocarbons in Presence of Cyanide”, Bioresources Technology, Elsevier, Vol. 121, October 2012, pp. 263-273.
- Belayneh, M. Z. and S. Murty Bhallamudi, “Multi-objective management model for waste load allocation in a tidal river using archive multi objective simulated annealing algorithm”, Civil Engineering and Environmental Systems, Taylor & Francis, Vol. 29 (4), pp. 222-230, December 2012.
- T. Shashidhar, S. Murty Bhallamudi, Ligy Philip, Development and validation of a model of bio-barriers for remediation of Cr(VI) contaminated aquifers using laboratory column experiment, Jl. of Hazardous Materials, Elsevier, Vol. 145, No. 3, 437-452, 2007.
- T. Shashidhar, Nisha Nandanan, Ligy Philip, S. Murty Bhallamudi, “Design of a passive bio-barrier system for chromium containment in confined aquifers”, Practice Periodical of Hazardous, Toxic, and Radioactive Waste Management, ASCE, Vol. 11, No. 4, 216 – 224, 2007.
- H. P. Reddy, S. Narasimhan, and S. Murty Bhallamudi, “Simulation and state estimation of transient flow in gas pipeline networks using transfer function model”, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 45, 3853-3863, 2006.
- Y.S.R. Murty, S. Murty Bhallamudi, and K. Srinivasan, “Non-uniform flow effect on optimal waste load allocation in rivers”, Water Resources Management, Kluwer, Vol. 20, pp. 509-530, 2006.
- T. Shashidhar, L. Philip, and S. Murty Bhallamudi, “Bench scale column experiments to study the containment of Cr(VI) in confined aquifers by biotransformation”, Journal of Hazardous materials, Elsevier, B 131, 200-209, 2006.
- S. Murty Bhallamudi, “Turbulence Modeling” in “Turbulent Flows: Fundamentals, Experiments and Modeling” (Eds: G. Biswas & V. Eswaran), Narosa Publishers, New Delhi, (19 pages: 319-337) 2002.
- S. Murty Bhallamudi, “Computation of open channel flows with shocks: An Overview” in “Research perspectives in hydraulics and water resources engineering” (Eds: Rama Prasad & S. Vedula), World Scientific, Singapore. (42 pages: 89-130), 2002.
- S. Surya Rao, S. Murty Bhallamudi, S.K. Tiwari and Ravi Bhushan Kumar, “Flood routing in tree type channel networks, ISH Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, ISH, Vol.6, No. 1, pp. 35-45 (Best paper award), 2000.
- P.V.N. Sudhakar, S. Surya Rao and S. Murty Bhallamudi, “Implicit two dimensional storage routing of floods in a river with flood plains”, Journal of the Institution of Engineers (Ind), Vol. 80, November 1999, pp. 105-109. (Best paper award)
- Tewari, A. and S. Murty Bhallamudi, “simulation of infiltration from a trickle irrigation source”, ISH Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, ISH, Vol. 3, No. 2. pp. 1-13, 1997.
- Murty, B.S. and Sridharan, K., “Transients in a spatially distributed pumping system”, Journal of the Institution of Engineers (Ind) – CV, Vol. 76, No.5, pp. 55-59, 1995.
- Murty, B.S., Sridharan, K. and Prasad, I., “Effect of intermediate non-return valves on transients in pumping mains”, Journal of the institution of engineers (Ind), Vol. 67, Part CI 3, pp. 99-104, November 1986. (Best Paper Award)
Prof. Dr. N. Fohrer (Department of Hydrology and Water Resources Management at CAU Kiel, Germany)
- Since 2010: Director of Institute of the Conservation of Natural Resources, CAU Kiel
- 2003-2009: Director of the Ecology Centre, CAU Kiel
- Since 2008 Chair of scientific board: German National Committee of IHP/HWRP of UNESCO
- 2008 – 2010: International Chair of scientific board for UNESCO initiative of Ecohydrology
- Since 2006: Member of the Governing Board: for the European Regional Centre (UNESCO Cat. II centre) for Ecohydrology (ERCE), Lodz, Poland
- 2007-2010 National Representative of Germany: Continental Erosion, IAHS – International Association of Hydological Sciences
- since 2004: editor of the “Zeitschrift Hydrologie und Wasserbewirtschaftung (HyWa)” (Magazine Hydrology and Watermanagement, in german only)
- Water balance calculation and modelling
- Modelling of river basins and catchment hydrology
- Analysis and modelling of water quality and water protection strategies
- Modelling the impact of land use change
- Measurement and modelling of soil erosion
- Strategies for flood protection measures on the field
Publications (selection only, complete list here)
- Amiri, B.J., K.P. Sudheer & N. Fohrer, 2012: Linkage Between In-Stream Total Phosphorus and Land Cover in Chugoku District, Japan: An ANN Approach. J. Hydrol. Hydromech. 60 (1): 33-44.
- Bieger, K., G. Hörmann & N. Fohrer, 2012: Simulation of Streamflow and Sediment with the Soil and Water Assessment Tool in a Data Scarce Catchment in the Three Gorges Region, China. J. Env. Qual., published online May 2012.
- Bohne, B., I.J. Storchenegger, P. Widmoser, 2012: An easy to use calculation method for weir operations in controlled drainage systems. Agricultural Water Management 109: 46-53.
- Fohrer, N. & B. Schmalz, 2012: Das UNESCO Ökohydrologie-Referenzprojekt Kielstau-Einzugsgebiet – nachhaltiges Wasserressourcenmanagement und Ausbildung im ländlichen Raum. Hydrologie und Wasserbewirtschaftung 56(4): 160-168.
- Fohrer, N., A. Dietrich, O. Kolychalow & U. Ulrich, 2012: Assessment of the environmental fate of the herbicides Flufenacet and Metazachlor with the SWAT model. J. Envir. Quality. Accepted July 2012.
- Kiesel, J., & Fohrer, N., Schmalz, B., White, M. J., 2010: Incorporating landscape depressions and tile drainages of lowland catchments into spatially distributed hydrologic modeling. Hydrological Processes. 24: 1472- 1486. ISI 2,002, 2010.
- Kiesel, J., & Fohrer, N., Schmalz, B. 2010: Considering aquatic habitat properties in integrated river basin management- an ecohydrological modeling approach. In Savenije, H., S. Demuth, P. Hubert (eds.): Hydrocomplexity: New tools for solving the wicked water problems. IAHS Publications 338: 137-139, 2010.
- Lam,Q.D., B. Schmalz, and N. Fohrer, 2010: Modelling point and diffuse source pollution of nitrate in a rural lowland catchment using the SWAT model. Agricultural Water Management. 97 (2): 317–325. (ISI 1,646), 2010.
- Petersen, G. and Fohrer, N., 2010: Flooding and drying mechanisms of the seasonal Sudd flood plains along the Bahr el Jebel in southern Sudan, Hydrological Sciences J., 55(1):4 -16. (ISI), 2010.
- Petersen, G. and Fohrer, N., 2010: Two-dimensional numerical assessment of the hydrodynamics of the Nile swamps in southern Sudan’, Hydrological Sciences J., 55(1):17 – 26. (ISI), 2010.
- Schmalz B., Fohrer N., 2010: Ecohydrological research in the German lowland catchment Kielstau. Status and Perspectives of Hydrology in Small Basins. IAHS Publ. 336: 155-120, 2010.
- Wu N, Tang T, Fu X, Jiang W, Li F, Zhou S, Cai Q and Fohrer N., 2010. Impacts of cascade run-of-river dams on benthic diatoms in the Xiangxi River, China. Aquatic Sciences. 72: 117-125. (ISI 1,049), 2010.