Area Coordinators Land Use/Urban and Rural Development
Prof Dr S. Chella Rajan, IIT Madras, India
Prof Dr H. Schnyder, Technical University Munich
Prof. Sudhir Chella Rajan (Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, IIT Madras, Chennai, India)
- 2007 (ongoing): Professor, Humanities and Social Sciences, IIT Madras
- 2000: Senior Fellow, Tellus Institute, Boston, MA, USA
- 1999: Consultant, UNDP, New York
- 1995: Director (Operations and Asia), International Energy Initiative, Bangalore, India
- 1989: Air Resources Engineering Associate, California Air Resources Board, El Monte, CA, USA
- 1988: Air Quality Scientist, ENSR, Camarillo, CA, USA
- Political theory and the environment
- Climate and migration
- Climate policy
- Sustainable development
Publications (selection only, complete list here)
- S.C. Rajan (2010) Parental Sacrifice as Atonement for Future Climate Change, in Michael Maniates and John Meyer (eds.) The Environmental Politics of Sacrifice, MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 2010
- S. Byravan and S.C. Rajan (2010): “The Ethical Implications of Sea-level Rise Due to Climate Change,” Ethics and International Affairs, 24.2, Fall Issue.
- S.C. Rajan (2008) Meeting the Millennium Ecosystem Assessment Challenge: The Case for Biome Stewardship Councils. In Janet Ranganathan et al., (Eds.) Policies for Sustainable Governance of Global Ecosystem Services, Edward Elgar, UK.
- Mayer Hillman, Tina Fawcett and S.C.Rajan (2007) The Suicidal Planet: How to Prevent Global Climate Catastrophe, St. Martin’s Press, New York.
- S.C. Rajan (2007): “Automobility, liberalism and the ethics of driving,” Environmental Ethics Spring 2007, 77-90.
- S.C. Rajan (2006): “Climate Change Dilemma: Technology, Social Change, or Both? An Examination of Long-Term Transport Policy Choices in the United States,” Energy Policy 34: 664–679.
- S.C. Rajan (2006) Automobility and the Liberal Disposition. In Steffen Boehm et al. (Eds.), Against Automobility: Social Scientific Analyses of a Global Phenomenon, Blackwell Publishing, Oxford
- S.C. Rajan (1996) The Enigma of Automobility: Democratic Politics and Pollution Control, University of Pittsburgh Press, Pitt Series on Policy and Institutional Studies; http://digital.library.pitt.edu/p/pittpress/.
- M. FitzSimmons, J. Glaser, R. Montemor, S. Pincetl and S.C. Rajan (1994) “Environmentalism and the liberal state,” in Martin O’Connor: Is Capitalism Sustainable? Guilford Books.
Dr. Mohan Kanda (Advisor)
Formally: Secretary (Agriculture and Co-operation) in the Ministry of Agriculture, Government of India
After Retirement: Chief Secretary to the Government of Andra Pradesh. Member, National Disaster Management Authority, (NDMA) with the status of a Minister of State of the Government of India
- 2005 Member, National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA)
- 1968-2005 Member, Indian Adminstrative Service (IAS)
- PhD, Osmania University, Hyderabad on the “Re-organization of Cooperative Agricultural Credit and Marketing Structures and Systems in Andhra Pradesh”
- As member NDMA: Policy & Plans, Floods & Land Slides, Partnership with Corporates in Disaster Management (DM) and inclusion of DM capsules in the Higher Education System of India in the various categories mentioned, closely associated with the formulation of:-
- The National Policy on Agriculture
- The National Policy on Cooperatives
- The National Rehabilitation & Resettlement Policy of Project Affected Persons
- The National Policy on Disaster Management
- Guidelines for Management of
- Guidelines for preparation State Disaster Management Plan
Publications (selection only)
- “Disaster Management in India: Evolution of Institutional Arrangements & Operational Strategies” (Authored by Dr. Mohan Kanda, IAS (Retd.)) 2016
- The Tinctured Canvas – “Concept, Practice and Strategies in Rural Development”–1981
- Vasundhara: An Anthology of Land Resources in India (Department of Land Resources 2000)
- Forgiving Earth: The Dynamics of Policy Support Reforms for the Millenium Farmer in the Asia-Pacific Region (2005)
- Compilation of articles published in “Agriculture – Today” on various issues to the agriculture sector in India (being readied for publication)
- Not by Others´s hands: An Anthology of a Century of Cooperation in India
Prof. Dr. H. Schnyder (Lehrstuhl für Grünlandlehre / Department of Grassland Sciences), Center of Life and Food Sciences Weihenstephan, Technical University Munich)
- 1994 (ongoing) Chair of Grassland Science, Professor and Head, Technische Universität München, Department of Plant Sciences
- 1993 Vienna Agricultural University, Institute of Plant Production and Breeding, Lecturer
- 1990 Senior Research Scientist and Lecturer, University of Bonn, School of Agriculture, Institute of Plant Production
- 1985 Research Scientist and Lecturer, University of Bonn, School of Agriculture, Institute of Plant Production
- 1985-1986 Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, University of Missouri-Columbia, Department of Agronomy
- 1984 Research Scientist, University of Bonn, School of Agriculture, Institute of Plant Production
- 1979-1984 Research Assistant, ETH Zürich, School of Agriculture, Institute of Plant Production
- Carbon relations of grasses and grassland, including the related mechanisms of nutrient and water acquisition and use, from cell to ecosystem scale.
- Photosynthesis, carbon allocation and respiration, which, together, control the residence time of carbon in the biosphere. Long-term archives of plant and animal tissues are used to reconstruct the effects of recent Anthropocene climate change on water-use efficiency and shifts in C3/C4 species composition in grassland. Most of these studies involve the use of stable isotopes.
Publications (selection only, complete list here)
- Barbosa ICR, Köhler I, Auerswald K, Lüps P, Schnyder H (2010) Last-century changes of alpine grassland water-use efficiency – a reconstruction through carbon isotope analysis of a time-series of Capra ibex horns. Global Change Biology 16: 1171-1180. (see Abstract)
- Lehmeier CA, Lattanzi FA, Schäufele R, Wild M, Schnyder H (2008) Root and shoot respiration of perennial ryegrass are supplied by the same substrate pools – Assessment by dynamic 13C labeling and compartmental analysis of tracer kinetics. Plant Physiology 148: 1148-1158. (see Abstract)
- Schnyder H, Schäufele R, Lötscher M, Gebbing T (2003) Disentangling CO2 fluxes: direct measurements of mesocosm-scale natural abundance 13CO2 /12CO2 gas exchange, 13C discrimination, and labeling of CO2 exchange flux components in controlled environments. Plant Cell & Environment 26: 1863-1874. (see Abstract)
- Schnyder H (1993) The role of carbohydrate storage and redistribution in the source-sink relations of wheat and barley during grain filling – a review. New Phytologist 123: 233-245. (see Abstract)
- Schnyder H, Seo S, Rademacher IF, Kühbauch W: “Spatial distribution of growth rates and of epidermal cell lengths in the elongation zone during leaf development in Lolium perenne L.” Planta. 1990; 181: 423-431. (see Abstract)